A knife is one of the most basic components of a kitchen. It does all the cutting, chopping, slicing, and dicing work in the kitchen. Wielding a knife is an art that is easy to master. However, this kitchen-essential needs its share of care and maintenance as well. Most importantly, it needs a sharp blade! How to sharpen a knife, you ask?
Knife sharpeners are the best way to sharpen the blades on your kitchen knives.
Let’s look at why a sharp knife is important –
- Sharp knives make it easier to cook. A dull knife needs more force while cutting or chopping, which can harm delicate produce like fruit, vegetables or fish.
- It is much safer to use sharp knives, as you reduce the risk of slipping here and there which, reduces the risk of your fingers getting hurt.
- Easy gliding of a sharp knife makes chopping easier and puts less strain on your hands.
Knife sharpeners make your job a lot easier. They come in 2 basic types – Manual and Electric. There are sharpening steels, water stones, and electric devices. All these have different operating methods and sharpen blades differently. Some may produce very sharp blades while others may not.
Irrespective of these, sharpening knives is an important part of kitchen management, and knife sharpeners are the way to go.
They are a must-have in every kitchen!
In this guide
How we did we pick out our winners
Zeroing in on a knife sharpener can often be an apprehensive process for buyers, especially if they are first-timers. Given the sheer variety out there, we understand how confounding it can be to differentiate among various products and their quality. To make it easier for you, we have listed down a few things that are signs of a good knife sharpener.
- The most important aspect is the quality of materials. Whether you want to buy an electric knife sharpener, a steel honing rod, or whetstone, make sure that it is made from good quality material. Read up about the product before buying. You will get to know the materials that have been used to make it.
- Does the knife sharpener offer, what you are looking for? Many sharpeners make blades super sharp while others require a second round of sharpening with stones for finer blades. Product descriptions and reviews will help you in this regard.
To get the best idea of whether a knife sharpener is good quality or not, read reviews posted by other customers.
Make sure you do your due research before buying a knife sharpener to avoid future issues.
Which Knife Sharpener is right for me?
So now you know about the qualities that a good knife sharpener must possess. However, choosing the perfect fit for your kitchen from among the wide variety can be a bit daunting. When you are starting the process of choosing the right knife sharpener for yourself, the first thing you should be sure about is your purpose for owning a knife sharpener; the second thing is your need.
Buying a knife sharpening tool depends greatly on –
- Whether you need it just for kitchen knives or others as well.
- Usage frequency – will use it often or occasionally.
- How much are you willing to spend.
- do you prefer a manual or electric tool.
Once you have all these considerations down on paper, your process will become a lot simpler. It is easy to get knife sharpeners on different online stores according to categories. You can sort items as per their cost, company, power, or ratings.
Having a clear idea of what you need will help you find the right knife sharpener for yourself, easily.